Part 3 – First Ever African adventure

We ventured out for a night tour from Olifants. Early in the evening the driver switched off the engines and the chatter melted away; we listened to a lion roaring. A little further on and we espied a leopard patrolling a riverbank. It was a good night for cats but sadly not photos of them. We also saw some lovely birds-a spotted eagle owl and a red crested korhaan. The spring hare hopped away from us quick smart. We were impressed by the eye shine even though it was facing away from us and presumed this indicated good vision of anything in pursuit. A handy feature with all the predators likely to be lurking in the undergrowth!
 photo Part3_SpottedEagleowl_zps5672e08a.jpg photo Part3_Red_crested_korhaan_zps0347ba77.jpg photo Part3_Spring_hare_zpsdf68117e.jpg

We said goodbye to Olifants as the sun rose and did a small backtrack along S44 to the lookout. Some yellow daisies caught my eye, I think they are Geigeria sp. and a steinbok was kind enough to pose for us.
 photo Part_3_Lookout_near_Olifants_zps2bbe4655.jpg
 photo Part3_Geigeriasp_Daisies_near_Olifants_zpsf242b394.jpg
 photo Part3_Female_steinbok_zpsd62d6fe7.jpg

We stopped at N’wamanzi and the caretakers showed us a lovely Scops owl. Our journey south was interrupted by some ostriches who decided to cross the road. The car gives a fabulous perspective of their size. We turned off the main road and onto the S39 which winds along the Timbavati River. One of culverts along this road was a tantalising tease. There were huge cat paw prints in the moist sandy mud. Another culvert was occupied by a terrapin.
 photo Part3_African_Scops_owl_zps79241752.jpg
 photo Ostrichandcar_zps56b5bdda.jpg
 photo terrapincatchingalittlefish_zps570d8134.jpg

There were lots of beautiful browsing and grazing herds, including an inquisitive young male kudu. He was very handsome and was kind enough to strike a fine pose. We saw lots of guinea fowl on our trip generally hanging out in big family bunches. They were amusing to watch especially when we tried to pass them and they had a big panic, zig zagging along in front of the car briefly then finally scrambling into the bush.
 photo Part3_lotsofimpalas_zps9b238353.jpg
 photo Part3_Inquisitivekudu_zps640d56fc.jpg
 photo Part3_Guineafowlfamilyinthemorningsun_zpsfcd6f190.jpg
 photo Part3_Giraffe_zps735b3d27.jpg

A kettle of vultures heralded a dead elephant. It was gut wrenchingly stinky but the vultures were having a wonderful time.
 photo Part3_Vulturesondeadelephant_zps2376f5e8.jpg photo Part3_Vultureondeadelephant2_zps5c4eec0d.jpg
We spotted this zebra – the one that got away…well most of it did.
 photo Part3_Zebra_missing_tail_zps0363c5ac.jpg

Around Orpen we managed to see some lovely birds: A southern carmine bee eater, a European roller, sandgrouse and the very comical looking southern ground hornbill.
 photo Southern_carmine_bee_eater_Feb2014_zpscaf7ff49.jpg
 photo Part3_European_Roller_zpsfdcf539f.jpg
 photo Part3_Sandgrouse_zps81035423.jpg
 photo Part3_Southerngroundhornbill_zpsd732435e.jpg

Our rooms and verandah at Orpen camp had some wildlife delights and surprises. A frog was living at the back of one of the chairs. We think this species of frog is the one that lays its eggs in white foam bundles on vegetation above ponds. A gecko was darting about the wall and catching insects.
 photo Part3_FrogatOrpen_zpse6b18321.jpg
 photo DSCF3426_zps475aa060.jpg
 photo Part3_GeckoatOrpen_zps01aafa84.jpg
Our first night at Orpen was restless. One of my daughters was woken by what they described as the hugest spider they had ever seen. I fumbled around in semi darkness looking for the source of consternation. I thought it was a mouse at first-scuttling across the floor. Slowly I realised it was a bat. I shooed it into the other room and hastily shut the door. Eventually we all settled down to sleep. Later I was woken again, another jolt of adrenaline. The window next to my bed was open (with screen closed to keep out nasty biting bugs) and a lion was roaring nearby.
 photo Bat_in_room_Orpen_Mar_2014_zpscdfa3a8f.jpg

The following morning yielded a gorgeous sunrise. We set off past Rabelais hut and onward down S140. A family of dwarf mongooses were dallying on the road and in the grass verge. A couple of cars were stopped ahead just past a dip in the road. We didn’t see what they had stopped for until we were quite close. It was an elephant having a lie down in a muddy pool. He got up we reversed to give him space – we couldn’t go forwards because the two cars ahead were abreast. He stepped forward onto the road and we reversed some more, expecting him to move right into the bush in the direction he was facing. However this was not his plan. He suddenly turned, flapped his ears and raised his head slightly. There was no mistaking his ire. My husband didn’t hang around; he reversed at high speed as the elephant charged forwards. We were all very scared of this huge elephant with enormous tusks. He followed us for a long way and we decided not to take the S140 that day. Instead we drove to Satara for lunch where a big monitor lizard kept us company.
 photo Part3_SunrisenearOrpen_zps4c165313.jpg
 photo Part3_Eastern_dwarf_mongoose_zps088d4f22.jpg
 photo Part3_Elephant_chasing_us_zpscdb9453a.jpg
 photo Part3_RockmonitoratSatara_zpsa244212f.jpg

A night and day of thrills was followed by a peaceful evening watching visitors to the waterhole at Orpen. A zebra was hosting an ox-pecker conference.
 photo Part3_ElephantatOrpenfromverandah_zps43ac5574.jpg
 photo Part3_OxpeckerconferenceonazebranearOrpen_zps8274bba8.jpg


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s